[OWASP-Security101] SESSION HIJACKING ISSUE

Abbas Naderi abiusx at owasp.org
Thu Mar 1 04:31:07 UTC 2018

Hello,
Basically if the session ID is stolen, there's not much you can do about it.

One thing is to check for the source IP, and if it's different, use an algorithm to decide what to do. For example, facebook and gmail do this. However, you don't want to be super restrictive because user IPs can change in one session, albeit slightly.

Another possibility is to check for browser type (user-agent header) and if it changes, then block it. That might be useful but an attacker will usually also mimic the user-agent header, so the server doesn't have an easy way of differentiating him.

Regards
-A