[OWASP-Security101] Security101 Digest, Vol 2, Issue 4

dinis cruz dinis.cruz at owasp.org
Thu Mar 15 00:05:43 UTC 2012

I have this 'how to store passwords' problem at the moment with the
TeamMentor (TM) product I'm working on. I current store the password
hashes in a file (XML since TM doesn't use a database) and I have no
'secure' place to store a secret or Salt(s)

Add to the mix that this hash is also calculated on the client side so
that when using Http the clear text password is not sent over the
wire.

I'm not convinced that per-user hash adds a lot more that we have
already, but I like the idea to introduce a more expensive hashing
process. That said , is that really that effective and practical? (I
really don't want a password verification process that takes too long
to execute)

Dinis Cruz