[Owasp_technical_project_advisors] Final Assessment Criteria

Chuck Cooper chuck.cooper at owasp.org
Sat Nov 23 20:31:43 UTC 2013

It was great meeting both of you in person at AppSec USA 2013 last week
(and being able to attend the conference sessions as well) so thank you so
much for the making it happen Samantha.

After compiling a list of suggestions we received, and reviewing the data
from people assessing projects with the form we came up with (see
attached), I made several changes to the FINAL version of the form which is
named Copy of Master File: Projects Assessment Criteria with AppSec Changes
and is available at
https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmcXA0HHwZOydDU1aDhRT1RRZ1ZuQmcybmhiWkNpSnc&usp=sharing

Some of the highlights of my changes include
  - I made all of the questions on the Health Assessment gating criteria
(if the answer is No, then the project is NOT a candidate to be promoted at
this time because it fails to meet one of the fundamental objectives with
OWASP projects), moving some of the non-gating questions to the health
assessment.  This had the effect of greatly simplifying the health
assessment process.
 - Incorporated feedback from conference attendees comments or data from
their attempts to use the criteria (removed mvp, copyright owner, added
criteria for training materials suggested by the training need as well as
others)
 - Tried to level the scoring by having a standard range (0-5 for Tool and
Code Library projects, and 0-10 for documentation projects) so the total
score they produce is weighted evenly to determine the maturity level of
the project and made sure there was a formula that sums the points
 - Also, I noted that not applicable questions get full credit (so they
don't affect the scale of the total points, and hence how they are rated)
  - Moved all instructional text to the right hand side to simplify the how
the questions look and so the instructions don't interfere with reading or
take away from the question, and provided more detailed answers for all of
the questions
  - Formatting changes and more...

I'd appreciate any feedback that you might have on my proposed changes.

And a this stage hopefully we can reassemble the team that worked on this
to get their thoughts on the changes, and possibly review the sample
project pages that were created (since I deviated a little from the
documentation sample by adding hover over text for some of the icons and
moving sections around a little).  I think we should also add a sample
slideshow template that is referenced on the resource links section.