[owasp_seraphimdroid_project] Questions regarding warnings and logs, location

Nikola Milosevic nikola.milosevic at owasp.org
Sun Mar 20 14:50:25 UTC 2016

One more thing, I would like to clarify. In your post you said:

   - SeraphimDropid did not provide any warnings since the phone is
   non-rooted

SeraphimDroid is designed to work with non-rooted devices only. The idea
was that majority of users do have normal, non-rooted phones, as they buy
them and they need some sort of protection. When you do root the device you
do get access to many more features and you can provide heavier protection,
but usually users who rooted their device are technically more savvy and
know what they are doing.

So device being not rooted is not a problem for us, as it should work with
these devices, so it is great you are testing it on it. I don't believe
there could be any issue for malware if phone is not rooted, since it would
be a bit weird to design malware that work only with rooted devices as they
are few. However, to conclude, if app does not work, I would take
responsibility to say that feature did not work in that case. However, here
malware seems to be quiet, not sending any SMS, with who knows which reason
(maybe it waits certain amount of days in order to better hide or something
else). You should check permission scanner what says about installed app
and let us know. However, that is a bit harder to update and we are aware
that it will provide some degree of protection (hopefully!), but not
perfect one, since it uses only the use of permissions to determine whether
something is or is not malware and is trained on relatively small dataset
(400 apps, 200 malware, 200 benign).

Pozdrav/Best regards,

Nikola Milošević
OWASP Seraphimdroid project leader
nikola.milosevic at owasp.org
OWASP - Open Web Application Security Project
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Main_Page>
OWASP Seraphimdroid Project
<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_SeraphimDroid_Project>