[Owasp_project_leader_list] OWASP Project Manager Report: March 28, 2014

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Sat Mar 29 10:45:17 UTC 2014

Samantha,

I am not on the board of technical directors because it is a deep
conflict of interest since I manage so many OWASP technical projects. I
invest tons of energy and time as an OWASP volunteer in many other ways.
I have provided /criteria/ for technical project evaluations on several
occasions throughout the years as well. Technical evaluation is just one
criteria of quality, and yes I've reviewed all the links you shared and
think you are mostly on the right track with your evaluation teams.

Samantha, evaluating the quality of a OWASP project using OpenSAMM, a
Software Development Lifecycle Evaluation criteria, seems so far from
the mission of evaluating projects for quality, I felt I needed to step
up and speak out so we stop this practice immediately and move to a
quality based evaluation.

The *measurement* of projects for quality is, per my understanding, the
main reason we hired you. You have done a great job of building teams to
work on this, but I implore you to condense the evaluation form into one
form for each type of project, and minimize the OpenSAMM questions. I am
loud about this because I see the evaluations underway already and we
need to streamline this process into something that is scalable and
effective.

I realize you are managing 177 projects *and more*. We may want to
change your focus from traveling to conferences (since we hired Laura
Grau to manage conferences) so you can focus more on your project
management duties. This is of course Sarah's call.

I have no problem with your critique of my personality, that's fine. But
that does not change the fact that we desperately need proper quality
evaluation of projects and I implore you to heed my advice. I see in
your report that you are about to undertake a review of all flagships,
that is another reason why I am loudly suggesting you change course and
stop using the OpenSAMM criteria.

- Jim