[OWASP_PHPSEC] URGENT: Need Advice.

Chris White cwhite at remarinc.com
Tue Jul 30 15:27:32 UTC 2013

An IBM, Microsoft or other tech giant looks a lot better on a resume because a future employer can immediately relate to the quality of work. Consultancy is advantageous in the sense that you are exposed to a wide variety of different systems and scenarios. No two clients will be identical, so it gives you insight into a lot more potential issues and benefits to software design, maintenance and troubleshooting.

The call, ultimately, is based on personal preference. I would choose a larger name as an entry level position given the opportunity. Since you are not guaranteed a position with any of them, it might be worth taking the consultant position if the employer is aware and okay with it being a potentially short term relationship - contract instead of direct hire might increase your chances of pulling off this arrangement.

Chris White
Network Administrator
Remar, Inc.