[OWASP_PHPSEC] Fwd: Add me in GitHub

rahul chaudhary rahul300chaudhary400 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 18:07:43 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dennis Groves <dennis.groves at owasp.org>
Date: Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: Add me in GitHub
To: Samantha Groves <samantha.groves at owasp.org>
Cc: rahul chaudhary <rahul300chaudhary400 at gmail.com>

Hello Rahul,

As you know, git is designed so that *anybody* can participate in any
public project without any special permissions or access required. The way
this is done is through a 'fork and pull' model. The fork and pull model
which base is the defacto standard model for public github repositories,
and most open source projects.

The Fork & Pull Model lets anybody fork an existing repository and push
changes to their personal fork without requiring access be granted to the
source repository. The changes must then be pulled into the source
repository by the project maintainer.

This model reduces the amount of friction for new contributors and is
popular with open source projects because it allows people to work
independently without any upfront coordination. The github documentation
for this process is here:

https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests

For this reason, I am now encouraging everybody to adopt the fork and pull
model and limiting administration access to the project leaders only. This
brings OWASP github repositories in line with practices. This also keeps
administration overhead lower and allows contributors to participate with
far less upfront coordination… making the whole process of participation
much more open.

Thank you for your understanding,

Dennis

On 24 Jul 2013, at 16:10, Samantha Groves wrote:

Yes, of course. I am ccing Dennis as he is managing GitHub. Dennis, can you
look into Rahul's request. See message below.

SG

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 7:27 AM, rahul chaudhary <
rahul300chaudhary400 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Again Samantha,

In our project's github directory, someone removed me from the
contributors list. So now I am not able to push any codes. Abbas Naderi
(IRAN chapter leader) told me that I should talk to you about this issue.
Can you please add me back in the contributors list so that I can push my
codes.

Regards,

Rahul Chaudhary
Ph - 412-519-9634

 Dennis

Dennis Groves <http://about.me/dennis.groves>, MSc
Email me <dennis.groves at owasp.org> or schedule a meeting<http://goo.gl/8sPIy>
.

Unless someone like you...cares a whole awful lot...
nothing is going to get better...It's not."
                                        -- The Lorax

--
Regards,
Rahul Chaudhary