[OWASP_PHPSEC] Daily Report - 23 July, 2013

Chris White cwhite at remarinc.com
Wed Jul 24 19:44:01 UTC 2013

This may have been addressed already, but I strongly endorse the use of Monolog (https://github.com/Seldaek/monolog) as a logging utility.  Not only does it follow RFC 5425 log levels (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5424), but also the PSR-3 (https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/master/accepted/PSR-3-logger-interface.md) logging standard.  Using libraries that follow this standard decouples the logging library used from PHPSEC.  At the very least, I suggest following the suggested standards if you decide to build a proprietary logging library.  The best approach might be to create a wrapper for other logging libraries that fulfills security considerations.

Example of Monlog instantiation and use:
// create a log channel
$log = new Logger('name');
$log->pushHandler(new StreamHandler('path/to/your.log', Logger::WARNING));

// add records to the log
$log->addWarning('Foo');
$log->addError('Bar');

Chris White