[OWASP_PHPSEC] Need Help understanding framework

rahul chaudhary rahul300chaudhary400 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 12:15:09 UTC 2013

Hello All,

Here is what I learned about MVC. There are two ways to make a
web-application. One way is to create with haste and without planning...and
another is to create the application with proper planning.

MVC is the second type.

In MVC, there are three main components....controller, model and view. A
controller is used to mediate controls between model and view. It also
interprets commands and passes control between model and view.

E.g:
Lets say there is a bank site. So, obviously, there is a DB. There are
web-pages and there are charts, graphs etc. To divide an application
properly, MVC states that you keep all your components in the "view" part
that shows the output. In our bank application, suppose a user requests a
slip of its bank details. Then the server would return some data such as
account number, available balance etc. The role of view is to show this
data in a proper format. View is also responsible for showing information
in different formats such as same information can be shown in bar charts as
well as pie charts....this is the role of view to show data in different
formats if requested.

The model part is business logic. So you will keep all files that actually
manage your application. For e.g. a user requests their details, then what
information is to be given, authorization of users, transactions
etc....these all components must be kept in the "model". It is also obvious
that access to the application's DB is also made from inside "model". So,
in our bank application, if the user is requesting some data from the
server, then that request must be handled by the "model" part.

The controller is what takes the request and decides how to process it.
E.g: a user says they want a bank slip. This request will be received by
the controller. The controller will pass this request to model. The model
will generate the data and will pass back to the controller. The controller
will then pass this generated data to the "view". The "view" will then
generate an output and will then give it back to the controller. The
controller will send this data back to the user.

*So, guys please tell me if anything is wrong.*

Now in our framework, I understand what is going on (overall). But my doubt
is with controller. There is a "front controller" in our application inside
"_core" folder. I am still trying to understand that fully. Rest I have
understood. Will update you guys on my findings later on this.

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Rahul Chaudhary