[Owasp_framework_security_project] Kicking off the project

Jim Manico jim.manico at owasp.org
Wed Jan 22 22:51:49 UTC 2014

James,

I’m a big fan of your work on the periodic table. We have got to get past
“lists” like OWASP Top 10, WASC TCv2, and CWE-25. Don’t get me wrong these
were a good start but we need more in terms of giving folks surgical
defense guidance. Most of these docs give high level defensive advice that
often leaves developers confused.

The OWASP periodic table provides guidance for each vulnerability class in
terms of WHERE to “control” that risk. These include standards, perimeter,
generic framework, custom frameworks and custom code. The detail in the
project so far is substantial.

There is perfect synergy between the periodic table and the framework
project. In fact, I bet they can be merged into the same project since they
are essentially trying to do the same thing. The framework project is
essentially a subset of the periodic table project.

Anyhow, good work Jerry and James. I’d love to see more synergy here as
James suggests.

Aloha,

Jim

jerry at owasp.org

On Jan 15, 2014, at 7:44 AM, Michael Coates <michael.coates at owasp.org>
wrote:

All,

Thanks to those that are helping out on the Django security controls. We're
starting to make some great progress!
https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhSfMVkfLvsldEltRUEwMkUydVVrMkNyVW1vbGxLaXc#gid=0

 I also posted in the django developer growth to see if we can get traction
there (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/django-developers/uc01Z2DZHh4).
We've got a handful of views so far.

--
Michael Coates
@_mwc

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 8:41 AM, Michael Coates <michael.coates at owasp.org>
wrote:

All,

It's time for us to get moving on this project. After introducing the
project I hit a ton of work and unfortunately didn't get as much time on
this item.

Starting Things Up

The project will evolve as we gather information. For now let's start in a
google doc - it's easy to edit and easy for people to contribute. We also
need a framework to start with. I recommend we start with Django.

Here is the google spreadsheet. Please start contributing with any info you
have.

https://docs.google.com/a/owasp.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhSfMVkfLvsldEltRUEwMkUydVVrMkNyVW1vbGxLaXc&usp=sharing

Ways to help:

1. Add security controls to the list

2. Fill out the table with information

3. Email the list with ideas on how we should continue to evolve the project

Thanks!

--
Michael Coates
@_mwc