[Owasp_framework_security_project] Welcome!

James Landis james.landis at owasp.org
Sun Sep 15 16:36:43 UTC 2013

Michael, are you going to introduce yourself, too? :)

I'm a SDLC/governance guy, currently living in the Bay Area and working for
a little company called eBay, though I cut my teeth doing consulting work
around the world for many years prior. Much of that work was app pen
testing and training. It got frustrating over time finding the same exact
problems over and over again. It got to the point where I would ask my
customers if they were doing any of a short list of things, and if not I
would tell them not to waste money doing pen tests since I could already
tell them what they were going to find.

I'm also the project lead for the OWASP Periodic Table. The main guiding
principle of that project is that, like buffer overflow, most vulnerability
classes can be solved before an app developer even has a chance to write
the first line of custom code. One of the things I think that means is that
a framework shouldn't just expose security APIs, but it should be
architected in such a way as to make it impossible to even make security
mistakes at all! I'm excited to be a part of this effort to see if the
theories we have can actually be implemented in the real world. As part of
the project, we've already done a ton of legwork documenting high-level
framework solution requirements; I'm looking forward to seeing how that
rubber meets the road when it comes to low-level implementation!

Thanks for the opportunity to join this team.

-j