[Owasp_embedded_application_security] Discussion

Timo Goosen timo.goosen at owasp.org
Wed Mar 18 10:51:45 UTC 2015

I like the list of best practices that you posted.  Some ideas I'd like to
add:

Big issue affecting embedded devices is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem , the 2038 problem. Which
will affect 32 bit platforms of the Linux kernel.
Without the correct time the data collected is worthless as it cannot be
stored according to the correct time. Cryptographic software will also not
be able to function properly.
Linus Torvalds is not planning on fixing the issue although the issue has
been fixed on most of the BSD platforms if I can remember correctly.

Another best practice perhaps to add to your list is to disable network
related services that are not being used and if something has to run for
example SSH, then it should be locked down as much as possible.

Regards.
Timo.