[Owasp_defectdojo_project] DefectDojo De-duplication of Findings

Jay Paz jay.paz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 21:02:37 UTC 2016

I think it is a worthy addition, but don't believe you need an
additional 'VettedFindings'
model.  Te Engagement already holds a list of all its findings and it is
easy to query them because of the reverse look up capabilities of Django.
To find all findings associated with a Product all you have to do is query
for them

all_findings = Finding.objects.filter(test__engagement__product=product)

>From there you can compare the incoming findings to the existing ones and
weed out the dupes.  My questions are:

1.  What do you do if the existing finding is already mitigated or inactive
- does it get reactivated because an incoming finding matches it, or does a
new finding get created instead.
2.  How will you compare them and decide they are dupes?  What if the
incoming finding is for a different endpoint, will the endpoint be added to
the existing finding or a new finding created with its own list of
endpoints.
3.  What if the severity is different, or the environment, etc...

I think adding a new model complicates the process and is not necessary.
By using Django's reverse querying capabilities you can handle this without
affecting anything else that depends on the Finding model.  Because of the
search capabilities, Findings are already indexed really well, and I don't
believe you will have a performance issue.

my two cents,

Jay