[Owasp-webcert] OWASP Evaluation and Certification Criteria

Mark Curphey mark at curphey.com
Wed Aug 8 09:34:44 EDT 2007

Hi Andre

First off as always thanks for the comments and taking time to provide
feedback. Its always appreciated and well received.

>From my perspective the actual idea was to be tactical ie specify controls
that easily be measured. Its already pretty scary when you start to think of
simple things for process as you pointed out. I could see a strategy to meet
the criteria as being very powerful but "I" think its out of scope of this
exercise at least. That said I am starting to become quite passionate about
it and I hope to present it at the next OWASP in San Jose. Maybe it can spin
off a set of satellite projects that could support it or it could support.
One maybe a strategic program that is interlocked.

Of course I maybe mis-reading this and you maybe saying we should be saying
all companies should have a strategy. While I agree the question is how to
do measure a pass or fail. First you have to define what a good one is and
by implication what isn't good and then show how to measure against it. If
we just say "you have to have a strategy" it seems its like its like the PCI
"you have to have a code audit". What does it really mean? Maybe it's a stub
as Jeff suggested in his mail.

Let me chew this all over. I am planning to spend Thurs and Friday on
updates to this.