[Owasp-webcert] OWASP Evaluation and Certification Criteria

Jeff Williams jeff.williams at aspectsecurity.com
Wed Aug 1 12:41:14 EDT 2007

Hi Mark,

Did you mean that the different techniques are the same as the assurance
levels? Or that for each requirement, the standard will specify which
techniques are required to gain, say, high assurance?

We started something along these lines for discussion over a year ago at
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Definition_for_Security_Assessment_Levels
. Here's the summary...

AL1: Partial Application Security Check
Automated scans (either external vulnerability scan or code scan or
both) with minimal interpretation and verification.

AL2: Basic Application Security Check
AL1 + verification of scan results using manual penetration testing and
code review. Security areas not scanned (encryption, access control,
etc...) must be lightly tested or code reviewed.

AL3: Standard Application Security Verification
AL2 + verification of common security mechanisms and common
vulnerabilities using either manual pentesting or code review or both.
Not all instances of problems found. Sampling allowed.

AL4: Enhanced Application Security Verification
AL3 + verification of all security mechanisms and vulnerabilities based
on high level threat model (part of assessment if not provided) using
either manual pentest or code review or both.

AL5: Comprehensive Application Security Verification
AL4 + search for malicious code. All code must be manually reviewed
against a standard and all security mechanisms tested.

I think a per-requirement specification of what techniques are required
to achieve a particular assurance level is a good idea.

Thanks,

--Jeff