[Owasp-vancouver] OWASP Chapter Meeting, July 22nd

Richard Ihmels rihmels at enkon.com
Fri Jul 23 18:44:29 EDT 2010

What I have seen done is encrypted value stored in in an sql field.  The key to decrypt was half in the application and half in the registry.  Every time the key needed to be changed the field needed to be updated.  At the time (about two years ago) that was sufficient to pass the audit but I haven't kept up with PCI since then.

If I remember correctly the issue was having more than one of the three values of CC #, Expiry, or CSC/CVC/CVVC persistently stored (including in application, system or web application firewall logs) and none should be communicated in clear text across the internet.  It was suggested that copies in memory should be over written rather than abandoned.  There was also guidance to minimize the number of people (internal employees and such) that could actually see the decrypted information.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head anyways.

Richard

rhodul at gmail.com