[Owasp-topten] Top ten 2017 RC

Edwin Gozeling e.gozeling+owasp at itsec.nl
Fri May 5 07:22:21 UTC 2017

Hi Dave,

thanks for the examples. I think that all of them relate to 'users'
acting in an uncommon or undesired way, such as:
 - using UI items/functionality not visible to them
 - using automated tools rather than a browser
 - bypassing client-side restrictions (field lenghts etc)
 - submitting payloads for (newly discovered or commonly known)
vulnerabilities

Basically, all of these are anomalies compared to regular application usage.

I think a title along the line of:
 "Insufficient anomaly mitigation"

would suit the new category. In my opinion 'protection', as originally
proposed, could easily result in denial of service conditions as there
is a thin line between genuine user errors, and malicious activities.