[Owasp-topten] OWASP Top 10 2017 Project Update

Colin Watson colin.watson at owasp.org
Mon Aug 7 10:49:03 UTC 2017

Neil

Thank you for this.

The new survey asks people to "Rank (1-4) the top four important
vulnerability categories that you would like to see included in the Top 10
2017 Edition". Could you tell me why "Insufficient Anti-automation CWE-799
(WASC-21)" or the similar "Abuse of Functionality (WASC-42, CAPEC-210)" are
not included in the options? This was one of the "Additional risks to
consider" in the 2013 top ten.

Our OWASP handbook lists 21 types of automated threat events including 16
which fall within WASC's abuse of functionality. See the diagrams in:

    OWASP Automated Threat Handbook
    https://www.owasp.org/index.php/File:Automated-threat-handbook.pdf

Some of these like Ad Fraud, Expediting, Credential Stuffing, Skewing,
Spamming, Account Creation and Carding will be almost everyday problems for
many website owners.

Regards

Colin
Co-Leader of the OWASP Automated Threats to Web Applications project
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Automated_Threats_to_Web_Applications