[Owasp-topten] [Owasp-leaders] On "Insufficient Attack Protection", and the role of OWASP...

Michael Coates michael.coates at owasp.org
Sat Apr 15 02:52:02 UTC 2017

Tim

Great points about the state of data in infosec. That seems like an
interesting blogpost on its own.

Another of your points caught my eye and reminded me of other comments I've
seen.

"To me, a better approach would be to take a broad survey of pentesters and
ask
them good questions about what vulnerabilities they are seeing with more
prevalence in both legacy applications and newly written applications"

I think this would be a very interesting survey result.

 In addition, I also think a study of available application breaches by
root cause would be very powerful too.

>From my perspective, we (the security industry) sometimes get up in
vulnerabilities that *could* be exploited and fail to give proper priority
to the issues that actually *are* being exploited for breaches. And this is
where consulting company data metrics can skew the perceptions.

For example, for all the research and products in infosec, good ole
phishing still is the easiest way into a company.

Just food for thought.