[Owasp-topten] Top 10 2017 RC1 feedback - A7

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Thu Apr 13 17:32:35 UTC 2017

Thanks for your question.

I think a combination of Dev and Ops is going to have to deal with A7 for
most apps/orgs. Developers should improve the security logging their apps
generate. They should select and/or implement standard security controls
that generate proper detection events so the app can have the opportunity
to respond. They need to implement SECURITY logging. Right now most apps
don't, or halfheartedly throw a few security events into their normal logs
that are indistinguishable from the rest of the events. Then they need
mechanisms for analyzing those events. This could be custom, or leverage
libraries like OWASP AppSensor, or just feed your logs to some other tool,
like Splunk, and then configure them to do the analysis they need. Ops
could do the same thing completely outside the app just looking at the web
traffic. Or a combination of both.

Both Dev and Ops should have a strong role to play here in my opinion. But
certainly some orgs will do it purely with Ops, and not 'bother' the
developers with this stuff.

-Dave