[Owasp-topten] [Owasp-leaders] OWASP Top Ten: Project Activity?

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Tue Jun 30 00:38:28 UTC 2015

Hey everyone,

I've been remiss in telling the OWASP community about the Top 10 project
plans for a 2016 release. This thread has reminded me to do so (so thanks
for that).

Historically, we've produced a new OWASP Top 10 every 3 years because this
seems to balance the tempo of change in the AppSec market, all the work
everyone does to map their tool/process/other thing to each version of the
OWASP Top 10, and the effort required to produce it. We've been producing a
new one every three years since 2004 (i.e., 2007/2010/2013), and so a new
version for 2016 is due. (Definitely not happening in 2015).

However, we've been thinking about what might change in a 2016 release of
the Top 10 and we don't actually think it would change much, if at all,
which is kind of sad actually. I suspect some Top 10 items might move up or
down based on the vulnerability prevalence statistics that we would need to
gather and process, but I have my doubts that any new vulnerability types
would break into the Top 10.

As such, given that we don't expect the list to actually change in any
substantial way, the project has decided to defer the next update to a 2017
release. We will start gathering data for this release in (hopefully early)
2016 so a draft is ready by the end of the year, and then we'll have an
open comment period and then an updated and final release, just like we do
for every other release of the OWASP Top 10.

As I promised 2+ years ago, we are going to be much more open about the
production of the 2017 OWASP Top 10 draft. We are going to an open call for
data and anyone can participate. As part of this open call, we plan to
define a required format for the data submission, and indicate that this
data will be made public so everyone can analyze this data, not just the
Top 10 project.

This data call is about vulnerability prevalence statistics. (i.e., what is
found by consultants/testers, and what is found by tools/services). We'd
also love to collect data about what vulnerabilities are actually being
exploited and what damage is being done. Right now, in the Top 10, we list
a set of factors that define the risk level of item in the Top 10, but only
one is based on statistics, the others are based on our professional
opinion. If anyone has any ideas on other statistics we can collect to help
guide our analysis of what truly are the Top 10 Risks to Web Applications,
please let the project know.

Thanks, Dave

Dave Wichers
OWASP Top 10 Project Lead

p.s. And here are the answers to Eoin's questions:

* Who is the project lead for the top 10?  Answer: Me (Dave Wichers) - Eoin
- you know that :-)
* Can we ask other folks to supply similar data also? Answer: Of course. We
are going to make a public data call.
* Should we have a call to the leaders list?  Answer: Yes - when we are
ready for it.

* Should we include both DAST and SAST metrics? I think we should. Answer: Yes
of course and we have done so in the past. DAST means Dynamic Analysis
(like ZAP/Burp/WebInspect) - SAST means static analysis. And we should also
include runtime analysis (Gartner calls this IAST) since this new category
of tools has come out.

* Metrics should be validated and verified as to remove all false positives
and not skew the stats.  Answer: Not sure about this. We take results
provided by vendors and consultants, and presume they have already vetted
their results. We get results from LOTS of providers (more every release)
to help avoid skew from bad data from one source as well as skew from what
tools (in general) find vs. what different types of tools find vs. what
human analysts find.