[Owasp-topten] Statistics to Support "A10 - Unvalidated Redirects and Forwards"

Chris Eng ceng at veracode.com
Thu May 30 21:56:04 UTC 2013

Hi Christian,

We flag Unvalidated Redirects as CWE-601, which, in the SoSS reports, gets lumped into "Insufficient Input Validation" with a handful of other categories.  So you can't easily isolate the Unvalidated Redirects using that report.  However, with the raw data I can.

I don't have the raw data from SoSS volume 4 readily available, but I do have some of the raw data from SoSS volume 5, which we released a couple months ago.  Looking at a 12-month slice of that data set (April 2011 to March 2012), we find through static analysis that around 12% of the roughly 6,000 applications had at least one Unvalidated Redirect flaw.  So it is reasonably prevalent.

Does this help?

-chris