[Owasp-topten] Who Are the Initial Six Sampled?

Neil Smithline neil.smithline at owasp.org
Thu May 30 00:51:53 UTC 2013

First, I apologize for taking your statements out of context. That was not
my intent.

I believe you are implying that objective statistics aren't of use when
used in combination with subjective viewpoints. I disagree. Regarding the
T10, I view subjective opinions as being an adjunct to the objective stats.
It sounds like we have two different views of the right combination of
subjective and objective input to the T10. That's fine. We can have
different opinions.

I disagree with your statement that the T10 had to change with the addition
of new data sets. This disagreement seems natural as I seem to be more
accepting of the subjective input than you. In general, I think that we
could find many details where my being more forgiving about the exact
numbers than you leads to a difference of opinion. This seems unavoidable
given our different viewpoints.

Also, and here is where a lot of subjective input comes into play, the T10
is not supposed to be a post mortem of what has plagued web security for
the past N years. Rather, it is supposed to be a guide to app sec for the
next N years. In anticipation of your question, I know that nobody has a
crystal ball. The T10 is just best guess or, if you prefer, subjective.

I think that Mass Assignment vulnerabilities are a good example for adding
subjective to the objective. I imagine (and I've not looked at stats - this
is just an example) that there have been many large breaches due to Mass
Assignment vulnerabilities in the past year or so. That said, IMO, the Mass
Assignment stats are irrelevant to the future and Mass Assignment should
not be in the T10.

As the Mass Assignment vulnerabilities were typically in large frameworks
that have addressed the issues, Mass Assignment is uninteresting because it
is yesterday's news and not tomorrow's. You may disagree. That's fine.

If you disagree enough, perhaps you'd like to start a new project that is a
post mortem of the 10 most problematic web app sec issues for the past N
years based 100% on objective stats. It is easy to start new
projects<https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Project>in
OWASP's open model. Even I've started a new project. Alas, it seems
that
starting a project is much simpler than making forward progress on it :-(

Thanks for talking this out Christian. At least for me, this discussion has
helped me clarify my thoughts. I hope it did the same for you.

Neil