[Owasp-topten] A9 - Disputed Risk

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at cmlh.id.au
Thu May 23 23:21:49 UTC 2013

Dave,

Just as I hit send I remembered the Sonatype Security Brief mentioned
within http://krvw.com/pipermail/sc-l/2012/002786.htmltoo and that
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_AntiSamy_Project is
also quoted on the far right column of the table "Total Downloads with
Known Vulnerabilities (Logarithmic)" on page 2 of 6.

Since AntiSammy is intended to not expose a web site to end user
supplied HTML and CSS and it has known vulnerabilities according to
Aspect Security (who contributed to the Sonatype Security Brief).  In
addition, EASPI and AntiSammy are "secure" software components yet
both are actually "insecure" when considered in the context of A9.
Furthermore a majority of the (OWASP Project) leadership for ESAPI and
AntiSammy is influenced by Aspect Security itself.

Therefore A9 must be excluded from the Top Ten otherwise it would
expose OWASP to "hypocritical" attacks from the wider webappsec
community as OWASP has disregarded the intent of "risk management"
within
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2013-Note_About_Risks due to
the commercial relationship of Aspect Security and Sonatype.

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich

http://cmlh.id.au/contact