[Owasp-topten] A9 - Disputed Risk

Neil Smithline neil.smithline at owasp.org
Thu May 23 15:32:56 UTC 2013

Christian,

I strongly agree with you that A9 does not belong in the T10. Besides your
concerns, I really, make that "I really really" don't like the fact that
avoidance of A9 occurs after shipping. I view the T10 as a developer's,
tester's, deployer's sort of thing. A9 relies on IT and ops to be remedied.

I worked hard in January to rally anti-A9 support. I failed.

Now, IMO, it is way too late to be considering changing one of the T10.
There is just too much work involved in each one, not to mention the review
process afterward.

Something I hadn't thought about until writing this is that there may be
tweaks to the wording in A9 that would make it more palatable to those of
who have problems with it. While it is already late for changes as it is a
week or so before going live, some minor tweaks may still be able to be
slipped in.

It is important to keep the relative size of the old and new text in mind.
I would imagine that it is too late to make a change that changes the
length of any of the T10 sections as the formatting is tedious and
time-consuming. Something I'm sure that Dave doesn't have time for.

Neil