[Owasp-topten] final release date for 2013 list?

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at owasp.org
Sun May 19 14:16:19 UTC 2013

If we were going to do something big for the Top 10 this year like this,
then volunteers should have emerged much sooner. For example, I've been
trying to work with the people who suggested we could use more metrics in
the Top 10, specifically the prevalence of attack metrics but they haven't
been able to get organized and produce anything since they suggested we do
something like this.

I'm getting to the point where I think we should release the Top 10 for 2013
as it has been produced every other year, and then if some group want to
form to study ways of improving it, getting more participation, come up with
concrete suggested changes, etc. that be started after this release and
maybe we can produce another release in 2014 rather than holding up this
release for several more months (my guess is that it would be more like 4-6
months) if we were to do this. I think people are concerned that we'd be
stuck with whatever this version says for 3 more years, but we don't have to
limit ourselves to that if we don't want to.

There was a lot of traffic when the draft release came out about what we
should be doing, but almost no one stepped up and offered to do anything
about it. There was talks about holding summits and having big meetings
about this, but I don't have time to organize such things and no one else
volunteered to do so either.

As to http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2013-March/009045.html
(edits to the Top 10), people have been sending me suggested edits and I
have been making them to the master. There have been very few such comments
by the way. Far less than in 2010 actually. So whether the edits going
through me, or can be done directly on the wiki, I don't think that's a
bottleneck or issue.

-Dave