[Owasp-topten] OWASP Quotes Violation by Aspect Security for Sonatype

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at cmlh.id.au
Sun May 19 01:07:45 UTC 2013

Dennis,

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Dennis Groves <dennis.groves at owasp.org> wrote:
> I consider Jeff and Dave to be founding members and indeed the reason that
> OWASP survived and flourished. Mark also believed in them, indeed he turned
> OWASP over to them; and Jeff and Dave gave OWASP stability and the OWASP > Top 10. Our beloved community would likely not exist, or would be entirely
> unheard of if not for their contributions.

Mark has stated that the Top Ten is abused for commercial vested
interest i.e. http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/107/404683/30/0/threaded.

Furthermore, Mark has left OWASP not once but twice, i.e.
http://www.curphey.com/blog/2012/10/17/new-blog-owasp-and-other-notes/,
 due to the broken promise that Aspect Security cease their continued
exploitation of OWASP due to their dominate influence of the OWASP
Board.

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Dennis Groves <dennis.groves at owasp.org> wrote:
> Everybody here at OWASP to one degree or another should be first assumed
> to have good intentions - even when the community has been *seemingly*
> harmed. Our mission is based in altruismm and we all have various degrees of
> comfort with this selflessness and will all make different choices based
> upon our understating and commitment to altruistic behaviour.

I would not define "altruismm" as "... many of our customers have
contacted us after seeing our participation in OWASP." to quote
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Jeff_Williams

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Dennis Groves <dennis.groves at owasp.org> wrote:
> Times changes many things, but we all owe respect to Dave and Jeff, first
> of all because we should treat others the way we want others to treat us,
> and second because without their contributions we would very likely not have
> an OWASP community to be part of.
>
> I ask the community to keep those rulse in mind when dealing with each and
> every member of OWASP, we have all paid a price to be here; and we have far
> more in common than not.

The undisputed fact is that Jeff Williams has been given significantly
longer than 19 days to address this in a discreet manner as he was
also involved in the creation of the Sonatype press release too.

Since Jeff Williams created
https://www.owasp.org/index.php?title=Quotes&action=history then he is
not "above the law" and his enforcement of
http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2007-July/005767.html,
http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2008-September/006845.html,
etc is these examples are nothing more than "selective judgement".

The OWASP Board must taken swift action in this matter since
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/About_The_Open_Web_Application_Security_Project#Code_of_Ethics
has clearly been breached.

--
Regards,