[Owasp-topten] Stats used to support Top 10 entries

Paweł Krawczyk pawel.krawczyk at hush.com
Wed Feb 27 07:43:08 UTC 2013

As I wrote last week (see thread "RC1 comments"), the current Top10
sources are made only from pentesting/scanner vendor data which only
represents one view: what vulnerabilities we, vendors, were able to
notice and recognize as vulnerabilities, along with subjective
scoring.
One sources Dinis proposed is WHID, which I definitely support, as it
represents much more realistic view: what vulnerabilities were
actually used by hackers to compromise sites. There are more reports
written with such approach:

	*Verizon Data Breach Report (2012)	*TrustWave report (2013)	*Zone-H
2010 statistics

There are significant differences in vulnerability severity between
both datasets - as discussed last week, current sources completely
ignore RFI/LFI vulnerabilities (which currently are larges cause of
compromises) and Mass Assignments, to name a few.
--  Paweł Krawczyk, CISSP
 http://ipsec.pl http://echelon.pl
 +48 602 776959

On 26/2/2013 at 8:21 PM, "Michael Coates"  wrote:I'd like to revisit
this thread. I'd argue that doing it right is better than doing it
fast.
Is there a way to publish aggregate data? A black box approach is not
consistent with the way we do things - and even if done in the best
possible way, it is tough to defend since people just have to take
someone's word.
--
Michael Coates | OWASP | @_mwc
michael-coates.blogspot.com
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 2:23 AM, Dinis Cruz  wrote:
 I don't think it is too late to introduce them. We can do it after
you release the first draft.
I've written why at Stats used to support OWASP Top 10 entries (next
version must publish them)
Also relevant to this issue is: Why NDAs have no place at OWASP
Dinis Cruz

 On 28 January 2013 21:01, Dave Wichers  wrote:
	Given that I intend to publish the release candidate in 1 week, I
simply don’t think we have the time to introduce this at this point.
 I really wanted the draft out 1 month ago, but didn’t  get it done
earlier.
	-Dave