[Owasp-topten] Risks vs Vulns

Ryan Barnett ryan.barnett at owasp.org
Sun Feb 17 15:55:24 UTC 2013

One other comment for app-DoS and the data sets in use.  For all of the
assessment vendors listed as data sources ­ they almost never include DoS
testing as part of their engagements.  Orgs don't want to disrupt their
normal operations while assessment teams check the live sites for other
vulns, and I also believe that Orgs are drinking the Snake Oil of network
infrastructure vendors who claim that their appliance/device stops all DoS
traffic so they don't have to worry about that.

What you have ere is a recipe for disaster with regareds to defending
against Anonymous, wikileaks, LOIC/HOIC, slowloris, slow READ DoS, etcŠ type
app-layer DoS attacks.  Just ask the Finance sector how they feel about the
threat of DoS (as they have been hammered the past quarter or so).

-Ryan

From:  Ryan Barnett <ryan.barnett at owasp.org>
Date:  Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:38 AM
To:  Tom Brennan <tomb at owasp.org>, "owasp-topten at lists.owasp.org"