[Owasp-topten] Mass assignment and A9

Christey, Steven M. coley at mitre.org
Fri Feb 15 20:57:17 UTC 2013

I hate that CWE and want it to die.  I wish I never thought of it.

<SEND> - no, wait...

I mean, that CWE has some problems, one of which is how generic it is, and how it emphasizes almost the "syntax" level of an issue instead of the "logic" level, and the psychological state of the programmer's assumption.  For example, a common attack against insecure direct object reference would be to manipulate a web parameter, and injection attacks are often against a parameter that the programmer assumed would never be changed.  CWE has a mixture of weaknesses operating at different conceptual levels and perspectives, which isn't necessarily a big problem because of the various audiences that CWE serves, but if only we could be better about modeling these differences...  But I digress.

At any rate, I see that Mass Assignment is mentioned at the end of the Top 10 draft without a link; we will have CWE-915 for it, which will point to various other references.  We will release a new CWE version next week, so http://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/915.html will be live at that time.

- Steve