[Owasp-topten] [Owasp-brazilian] [Owasp-portuguese] OWASP Top 10's Portuguese translation

Carlos Serrão carlos.serrao at iscte.pt
Thu Mar 25 20:45:00 EDT 2010

Hi Pedro,

this is actually a very good suggestion. I don't the rationale for selecting Word or any other complex text Processor in the OWASP documentation processes, nevertheless I don't want to go in that direction now.

I know that Latex has lots of advantages over other Word processing tools, offering a much more flexible way of producing documentation. However, not everyone is familiar with Latex syntax, and this may be a barrier...

In conclusion, I think we should consider Latex for future documentation projects. I don't think there are any OWASP limitations for anyone using the appropriate tools for the job at hands.

Best regards and thank you for your input.

Best regards,

On 2010/03/25, at 23:56, PEdroArthur_JEdi wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Leonardo Buonsanti
> <leonardo.buonsanti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Let's remember there are some catches between PT-BR and PT-PT, such as
>> translating the word "file" as "ficheiro" in Portugal and "arquivo" in
>> Brazil, just to mention.
>> Sure there are lots of words that will be translated differently. How we
>> deal with this?
>
> Unfortunately we are not using a proper tool for the
> authoring/translating job. A good authoring tool can mitigate this
> issues. Like, in Latex, when someone wants to refer to "file", would
> be possible to do:
>
> \file
>
> and directives would guide proper translation at the compilation
> process. Unfortunately, we are using Word.
>
> It would be very productive to OWASP to use Latex as it main authoring
> tool. This argue holds itself cause it would make it simpler to work
> with authoring, document standartization, translations and distributed
> work.
>
> the authors can keep their minds on the contents and coworkers may do
> the design job by creating templates. Besides, as the design is weakly
> coupled to the text, it may be used in many others documents, creating
> a easily adaptable standard.
>
> Using Latex is also possible to structure the documel is their
> sections, chapters or other kind of division, making possible to occur
> concurrent changes without the need of a centralized merging's
> mechanism.
>
> and like I said before, problems like exists between the many dialects
> of languages like portuguese would be mitigated by conditionals
> directives.
>
> I would spend all my night arguing in Latex favor. So, I think it may
> be a directions for futher OWASP's documents.
>
> By the time, I think the regionalisms shall be respected for the sake
> of understandability. So, we must work separately, being one the
> consulting guide for the other.
>
> --
> Pedro Arthur P. R. Duarte
>
> http://pedroarthur.com.br/
> http://blog.pedroarthur.com.br/
>
> Nunca acredite num sistema que você não conhece o código fonte!
> Never trust a system you don't have sources for!
>
> "A única condição na qual a inteligência, a dignidade e a felicidade
> podem se desenvolver é na liberdade."
>
> -- Mikhail Bakunin

Carlos Serrão, Ph.D.
ISCTE/DCTI Assistant Professor | ADETTI/NetMuST Project and Team Manager | OWASP at PT Chapter Leader
| web | blog | linkedin | twitter | facebook |