[Owasp-topten] Top 10 2010-Main wiki mistake

Neil Smithline owasp-topten at smithline.net
Tue Apr 27 17:07:16 EDT 2010

First, I am monitoring all changes.

My general take on making changes is this:

   - Copy-and-paste errors such as this, while difficult to find, are very
   easy to fix. Unless you are totally wikiphobic, go for it.
   - The same for similar textual errors. Dropped words, missing links (I
   have about a dozen I know of already that are in the queue to be fixed),
   loss of bold, underline, italic, or colored text.
   - For layout errors, if you feel comfortable correcting it, by all means
   do such.
   - Contentual changes that deviate from the printed copy should be done
   judiciously. Any serious changes should probably be discussed first (more on
   discussion in a moment).
   - Layout changes that do not involve an obvious error should be discussed
   first.

As far as making changes, big or small, I recommend you always use the
preview feature. You can set some options to make this more difficult to
forget under My Preferences-->Editing. If you are unsure about your changes
after looking at the preview, copy-and-paste the wiki source code into a
text file, cancel your changes, and then discuss what you were thinking.

If you feel discussion about your changes is necessary, there are several
ways to do this:

   1. Mail this list.
   2. Mail me at owasp-topten at smithline.net.
   3. Especially for content-related changes, mail Dave Wichers.
   4. But, best of all, for every page, the wiki provides a discussion page.
   Put your questions, comments, suggestions, compliments, and criticism there.
   The discussion page is essentially a permanently archived forum dedicated to
   each page. The Wikipedia's help on discussion (AKA: "talk" pages is at
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Talk_page_guidelines and is very
   helpful).
   5. If you want to discuss large portions of the T10, use the discussion
   tab of the topmost relevant page. For example, if you don't like the choice
   of blue as a accent color, then comment at the topmost page at
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2010. If you have a comment about
   the formatting of each risk,
   http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Top_10_2010-Main is probably a better
   place. But don't worry too much, the discussion pages are only used by the
   nerdiest nerds, most readers of the wiki will never look at them.

Hope this helps,

- Neil "Looking for a contract or permanent work in the Boston area"
Smithline
781-754-7628