[Owasp-topten] RFI taken out

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at aspectsecurity.com
Tue Nov 17 18:39:22 EST 2009

One of the reasons I don't mind rolling LDAP and Command Injection into
Injection is that the primary issue is SQL Injection (which is extremely
prevalent). Command injection is becoming relatively rare and LDAP
injection is also relatively rare, so the fact that we lose a little
focus on those two issues is OK in my opinion, but rolling XSS into
injection as well would be a huge mistake since XSS is probably the
hardest item in the Top 10 to completely eliminate from an application.

I've worked with clients for over 5 years trying to stomp out the top 10
and we get SQL Injection licked in like 6 months and it never reappers
and yet we are STILL struggling with XSS because it's SO complicated to
deal with across a large application portfolio and it's SO EASY to
reintroduce it even if you think you made it go away.

So, again, I think both topics are extremely important and each need
their own visibility in the Top 10.

-Dave