[Owasp-topten] RFI taken out

Ty Miller tyronmiller at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 16:47:28 EST 2009

Hey guys,

To tell you the truth, i'm not a fan of combining attacks into generic
groups for the top 10.

Correct me if i am wrong (because it may just be my assumption), but I
thought the top 10 was supposed to be to educate people to the current top
10 highest risk attacks so that they can protect against them. When we start
making generic groups and jamming everything in together, we start to
dissolve the usability of the top 10 since it ends up just covering
everything, and most people (outside of pen testers or the like) end up not
actually knowing what attacks they actually need to protect against.

I run online and face-to-face training courses for web app hacking "based on
the OWASP Top 10", because that is the title that people like to see. After
the course has finished, the students all leave exhausted from the massive
number of attacks and security weaknesses that they have just been taught,
rather than being taught the real top 10 vulnerabilities that are going to
pose real risks to their organisation. They end up getting lumped with
protecting almost every possible attack because their security policy
blindly says "Developers must protect against everything in the OWASP Top
10".

I guess having said all of that, I would still be able to easly squeeze RFI
into probably a number of sections of the generic top 10 groups, but that
doesn't mean that developers are going to know to protect against it or that
security groups are going to know about it.

Ty