[Owasp-topten] Feedback on OWASP 2010 Top 10 (Sec. Misconfig)

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at aspectsecurity.com
Mon Nov 16 20:59:32 EST 2009

My thoughts on security misconfiguration is that it covers the
configuration of everything on the server that is hosting the web
application as well as anything else in front of that server that is
protecting it (at least at the app layer for the 'in front' components).
And it includes the configuration (again at the app layer) of any
back-end components accessed by the web app, like the database/DB
server.

So, for the app server, this includes the OS, the app server, the app
itself, and any components/frameworks used by the app that are
configurable. For a front end component, like an XML gateway, or App
Firewall, then I'd be primarily focused on their app layer configuration
(although their network configuration is important too).

As an organization, we recommend increased focus on the app layer
configuration of all the components involved since most organizations
tend to currently focus on the network layer components. As part of this
configuration, keeping up with the latest version of all the software
components involved is also very important as half the patches issued
are fixing security flaws, even in libraries, like Struts, Spring, etc.

I would expect both app and network layer scanning to help detect
security configuration flaws, as well as manual analysis. Neither can do
this well on its own, but manual analysis is probably the most important
aspect for the app layer.

I don't know if this clarifies my thoughts on the subject, but hopefully
it does.

I'm not sure what you mean by architecture issues that can be detected
by review of automated scan results.

-Dave