[Owasp-topten] OWASP Top 10 2009

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at aspectsecurity.com
Sat May 16 17:37:10 EDT 2009

Regarding merging injection and XSS, I really don't think that is a good
idea. SQL Injection and XSS flaws are always reported separately and
they are #1 and #2 in reported quantity so burying one inside the same
bucket with the other would remove the emphasis that is sorely needed to
keep these two items at the top of peoples radar.  So, I don't think
that is the best way to create a slot.

That said, I agree with your concern about Insecure Configuration
Management disappearing from the Top 10. This specific topic was brought
up in Portugal at the OWASP summit so is definitely something we need to
directly address.

The two proposed options were:

1) Add it back in to the Top 10 (and there is definitely merit to that),
and
2) Make it clear in each top 10 item that the system needs to be
configured properly in that area for that area to be performed properly.

Item #1 makes this important issue much more obvious, but there were
mixed opinions on which of the two paths we should take.

So that is definitely something we need to discuss and resolve.

-Dave