[Owasp-topten] Thoughts on OWASP Top 10 2009 - Round 1

Jeremiah Grossman jeremiah at whitehatsec.com
Thu Mar 19 17:04:33 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I don't have much value to add on top of the discussion about
vulnerability prevalence, easy, impact, exploitation likelihood, etc.
When it comes to building such a list you guys all hit the relevant
points.

I also think the goal of building the "Top 10 biggest security risks
to web applications" is worthwhile and feasible. To do so obviously
we're going to be unable to leverage solid statistics to cover each
aspect, which is not to say we would be on our own either.  I captured
many of the recently publicly available reports here:

http://jeremiahgrossman.blogspot.com/2008/12/its-unanimous.html

We can also include data from:

The Web Hacking Incidents Database
http://whid.webappsec.org/

WASC Web Application Security Statistics Project
http://www.webappsec.org/projects/statistics/

WhiteHat Website Security Statistics Report
http://www.whitehatsec.com/home/resource/stats.html

Still, we are going to have to rely upon our collective wisdom to fill
in the gaps. As it stands, here is the current Top Ten 2007 for
reference:

1) Cross Site Scripting
2) Injection Flaws
3) Malicious File Execution
4) Insecure Direct Object Reference
5) Cross Site Request Forgery
6) Information Leakage and Improper Error Handling
7) Broken Authentication and Session Management
8) Insecure Cryptographic Storage
9) Insecure Communications
10) Failure to Restrict URL Access

For my part and experience, off the top of my head I'd like to see the
following list considered. No particular order:

- Cross Site Scripting
- SQL Injection
- Insecure Direct Object Reference / Predictable Resources Location
- Cross Site Request Forgery
- Clickjacking / UI Redressing
- Insufficient Authorization
- Insecure Communications / Insufficient Transport Layer Protection
- Open URL Redirectors

* Flash application tend to have at least one of a lot of important
little things that can and do go wrong, but hard to select just one.

* Similar is true for Web Widgets, third-party advertisements, and
traffic monitoring services. Websites are using more and more of JS
includes, integrating arbitrary client-side code in an environment
with limited security controls.