[Owasp-topten] 2010 RC - Severity != Risk

Dave Wichers dave.wichers at aspectsecurity.com
Mon Dec 28 18:16:37 EST 2009

OK. So the Top 10 - 2010 RC1 is focused on Risk, and your comment that it appears we are focusing on severity, per your definition below, does not seem to be correct to me, since we include 3 likelihood factors and 1 impact factor to calculate risk.

So, I don't understand your original comment that it appears we are focusing on severity. And ignoring that, your request that we focus on severity, per your definition below, and thus ignore likelihood, doesn't seem to be a good idea to me at all, but I'm certainly interested in others opinions.

To share a story, I just was working with a large banking client who also currently focuses only on impact (severity) and I advised them that they need to take likelihood into consideration because without it, they'll focus on many high impact items that are very unlikely, rather than focusing on those items that might have slightly less impact, but are very likely, resulting in higher actual risk to the organization.

I think focusing only on severity, even if our calculation of likelihood is a bit subjective (which are based on our professional opinion and also based on vulnerability stats), would be a disservice to the audience we are trying to reach with the Top 10. And we are trying to be very clear that we do not know the threats that their particular systems face, nor the impacts to their business.

Dave