[Owasp-testing] Threat Agent Factors in OWASP Risk Rating Methodology

Tushar Vartak tusharvartak at me.com
Thu Jun 8 05:36:22 UTC 2017

Fully Agree and support for removal. This has been the most painful area to debate in testing reports.

--
Tushar Vartak
Sent with Airmail

On June 8, 2017 at 3:40:14 AM, Bernd Eckenfels (bernd-2017 at eckenfels.net) wrote:

Agreed. This is why I vote for removing it. There is still the Exploitability factor which would be high for in-the-wild worms or attack kits, medium for documented exploits with no exploits and low for zero days which require skilled attackers to discover it.

Gruss
Bernd
--
http://bernd.eckenfels.net

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 3:13 PM +0200, "Dimitri Fousekis" <dimitri at bitcrack.net> wrote:

I’ve seen this cause problems in client reports and findings too.

My question always is - but what if the highly skilled attacker creates an automated script that applies his skills to a medium-or-low skilled attacker?

The risk is still debatable in both cases because skill level is not a reliable constant we can use to measure the realization of such risk.

Before the days of Metasploit for example you could easily have classified 60% or more of its built-in attacks as “high skill level required” exploits. Now its taught to relatively new InfoSec candidates.

Dimitri

Twitter: @bitcrack_cyber @rurapenthe0

From: <owasp-testing-bounces+dimitri=bitcrack.net at lists.owasp.org> on behalf of Louis Nadeau <Louis.Nadeau at bentley.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 3:00 PM
To: Pichaya Morimoto <pichaya at ieee.org>, "owasp-testing at lists.owasp.org" <owasp-testing at lists.owasp.org>
Subject: Re: [Owasp-testing] Threat Agent Factors in OWASP Risk Rating Methodology

Hi Pichaya,

There was a “flame war” about this in other mailing list last year. There was convincing argument on both sides regarding this. I agree with you though.

Louis