[Owasp-testing] CVSS v2

jm sysvar0 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 07:36:04 UTC 2013

I look at the OWASP risk rating methodology.

My comments as follows.

It does not really distinguish between a specific occurence and
the prevalence or distribution of an affected application in a given
context.
It does not sufficiently factor in the value or the role of the application
within the context to the organization, the execution environment, or the
remediation cost.

In Threat Agent factors.
-Size of group of threat does not qualify type.
-Opportunity should speak to motive and not to a level of access.

In Vulnerability factors.
-Discoverability and exploitability are not very helpful in expressing the
complexity of the attack.
-Under awareness, I do not think that how well known a vulnerability is for
a group of threat agents is a reasonable question to ask, and am not
certain of a practical scenario where hidden would be assigned. It could
presume knowledge about the MO of a threat profile - not typically
vulnerability-centric, and this level of detail may be beyond the reach of
the organization or of the assessor. Instead, a more reasonable question
might be centered around any evidence of disclosure of said vulnerability
in the public domain, and perhaps a qualifier describing the level of
confidence of the report and whether the issue was acknowledged by the
vendor.
A qualifier describing the age of the vulnerability could be useful
Around intrusion detection, two properties seem to be implied, the
detectability or ease of detection and the action of review. The ease of
detection from the generation of a cyber observable may depend on other
components such as a system-centric configuration settings, and the
reviewing, freqency of review, etc. speak to potential / components of
another system.