[Owasp-testing] Can you please give me some guidence on the Business Logic Section?

McGovern, James james.mcgovern at hp.com
Thu Jan 3 12:46:49 UTC 2013

I think the challenge is observing the fact that the phrase: Business Logic is heavily overloaded in all of the three links provided. The traditional "infosec" view defines a lot more things under the business logic banner than say a traditional software view would do.

May I propose that we focus our usage of the term towards concepts of the business domain itself? For example, if you are developing an insurance quoting application, the business logic would be comprised of the rules and calculations required to price a combination of drivers and vehicles. The stuff regarding AuthN, AuthZ, etc would be outside of it.

If you look at calculations for say taxes, we would then test for invariants. This could include looking at how validation is handled, the order in which processes/steps are executed and of course transactional considerations (e.g. ACID).