[Owasp-testing] Are the Risk Rating Wiki Pages Broken?

Andrew Muller andrew at ionize.com.au
Mon Aug 26 15:43:01 UTC 2013

Great discussion :)

Originally my thoughts concerning the inclusion of the OWASP Risk Rating Methodology in the Testing Guide aligned with Christian (i.e. OWASP does appsec, not risk). However, it may be prudent to "harmonize" the Methodology with 31000 or 27005 in much the same way that 2011 revision of 27005 was intended to align with 31000. Rather than regurgitate 31000 within an appsec context, I suggest OWASP provide domain knowledge to aid a risk manager applying 31000/27005 assess the risk of an application vulnerability (as per Christian's SQL example below). Nothing verbose, just points for evaluating threats, vulnerability severity, remediation, etc, that could be used as an annex to 31000 or 27005.

I still believe that OWASP's mission is appsec, not risk management, but we should provide guidance to risk professionals who find themselves in our domain.

Andrew