[Owasp-testing] Are the Risk Rating Wiki Pages Broken?

Marco Morana marco.m.morana at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 08:34:20 UTC 2013

Christian,

I initiated an email topic on this with Josh Sokol since he was the one that first reviewed the OWAASP risk methodology, found some flaws and suggested the changes. I personally like the methodology because of the choice of risk factors for probability of threat agents and vulnerabilities and for technical and business impact. This forces a risk manager to think about these factors for scoring risk. What I think need to be revised in the current methodology is the lack of context so cannot be misused. In the hand of a risk assessor with no technical and business context of these factors, the OWASP risk methodology can produce incorrect ratings since data can be entered that can cancel out factors in contradiction on each other (e.g. low threat agent skill level vs. low ease of exploit, loss of confidentiality  vs. non impact of privacy and no financial impact).  Also as per Josh point, the weighting averages should be given in a way not to cancel important factors. I personally think too that the weight factors of threat, vulnerability, technical impact and business impact separately otherwise we have same price for everything that we put in the grocery bag, apples and oranges, discounting that oranges (e.g. confidentiality), sorry got use to these analogies with my wife to simplify what I mean ..:)

My plan is to get this (as contributor of the testing guide) and work with Josh Sokol  to a set of proposal for changes and propose them include them in the next release. How does it sounds?

I think after we agree on these changes, it will be also nice to put the OWASP risk methodology in online risk calculator with proper calculation of averages and set of contextual constraints (pivots on conditions of vulnerabilities and technical impact and greyed selections to avoid contradictions)

For the time being, I think we should recommend the use of standard like CVSS vs2 to check the two ratings and also make sure who assign the risk values is an expert risk manager with clear understanding on the context of what is entering otherwise need to consult with one that does.

p.s. sorry for Tom I was referring to Tom Brennan, copied herein in the conversation.

Cheers,

Marco

Sent from my iPad