[Owasp-testing] Are the Risk Rating Wiki Pages Broken?

Marco Morana marco.m.morana at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 08:33:32 UTC 2013

I am favor of endorsing MITRE's CVSS since this is almost widely accepted industry standard for vulnerability risk scoring. Nevertheless,  I think there is value in guiding users of the testing guide on the use of other qualitative risk assessment methodologies as a reference. Based upon my experience, organizations do not just rely on CVSS for vulnerability risk management but to their risk management process and acceptable risk levels. I think keeping the current OWASP risk scoring has value for comparison and can be corrected for the risk factors of threats vs risk factors of vulnerabilities (discussion on threat agent skills) and overall weight calculation formula as well as for covering at least five levels instead of three (H,M,L). The comparison between CVSS and OWASP risk rating can also be used as benchmark and to highlight that ultimately there is no one best risk methodology but consistent assessment of risk using different criteria.
One approach I like to educate users on how to assess risk is Josh's SimpleRisk tool where different risk assessment formulations can be used (even user defined) and compared to assess risk.

regards, Marco

Sent from my iPad