[Owasp-testing] V4 Update ideas

Irene Abezgauz irene at seekersec.com
Thu Sep 27 12:13:59 UTC 2012

+1, but with a slight reservation.

The problem with having an introduction that presents the HTTP protocol in detail is that the next thing you find yourself doing is explaining TCP.. We need to set a certain boundary to how deep and detailed we get.

However, what I think we do need to do is make sure that we provide an introduction and relevant chapters that allow the user to go and perform additional reading when needed.

This means in the introduction there should be a paragraph along the following lines - this guide assumes the reader has basic knowledge of HTTP, the concept of an intercepting proxy, etc. (we could even drop a couple of lines on each, but not go into a full-blown explanation of what each of these means).

Then say that a reader who is not familiar with these basic and important topics can read more on the subject here, here and here (and here).

I think this extends to various other issues we've discussed previously. For example - on the topic of mobile testing - I don't think we should avoid mentioning it altogether, but rather have a short paragraph that says here is what is similar here is what is different (in very high level), then refer the user to mobile testing guide. Same goes for testing of applications using non-http protocols, for example, and various other topics that I think should be mentioned if we are trying to create a single document from where the user can branch and read more if needed.

My 2c.

Irene

--
Ismael Gonçalves