[Owasp-testing] Testing Guide v4: 2nd phase: Writing

Matteo Meucci matteo.meucci at owasp.org
Tue Oct 16 14:48:52 UTC 2012

Hi Ismael,
thank you for your notes.

On 10/16/2012 04:25 PM, Ismael Rocha wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> Follow the feedback about the draft ToC:
>
> *4.3 Configuration and Deploy Management Testing *
>
> Ismael >> Somebody suggested previously to test for sensitive
> information in logs.
> Assuming that there is a test for connection strings couldn't we check
> also for sensitive information in logs?
> And this is the kind of test if we are covering only black box tests, in
> theory the tester would need to gain
> access in a way they could perform the test.
>
> Ismael >> About Unpatched components and libraries (e.g. JavaScript
> libraries)[New! NOTE: tu discuss it] :
> I think this could be covered inside OWASP-CM-001/OWASP-CM-002.

Yes, I agree

> *4.4 Authentication Testing *
> Failure to restrict access to authenticated resource [New!]
> Ismael  >> Isn't it authorization?

No, the idea here is to verify if all the resources that need an
authentication are accessible also if a user is not authenticated

> *4.5 Session Management Testing*
>
> 4.5.2 Testing for Cookies attributes (Cookies are set not ‘HTTP Only’,
> ‘Secure’, and no time validity) (OWASP-SM-002)
> 4.5.6 Testing for Session token not restricted properly (such as domain
> or path not set properly) (OWASP-SM-006) OWASP-SM-006
> Ismael >> Couldn't these tests be covered under the same item?

Yes, I agree. Maybe Testing for cookie attributes can test also for 4.5.6?

> *4.6 Authorization Testing*
> 4.6.2 Testing for bypassing authorization schema (OWASP-AZ-002)
> 4.6.5 Testing for Failure to Restrict access to authorized resource
> (OWASP-AZ-005) [New!]
> Ismael>> Is the 4.6.5 a test in which the tester would check for
> resources that were supposed to be protected and actual are not (e.g.
> Top Ten A8)?  What's the difference between 4.6.2 and 4.6.5? Looking at
> the Testing Guide V3 I understand the 4.6.5 is already covered.

We need to have this test more explicit because it is one of the Top10
risk. Maybe we can merge it and eliminate 4.6.2?

> *Other comments:*
> Aren't we covering Test for HTTP Dos? Do you guys think isn't worth to
> cover this kind of DoS test?
>
> Regards.
>
> Ismael Gonçalves

No one is modifying the wiki, so I'm going to send emails to the authors
asking for a plan.

Thanks!
Mat

--