[Owasp-testing] Testing Guide v4: 2nd phase: Writing

Ismael Rocha ismaelrocha.projetos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:25:09 UTC 2012

Hello All!

Follow the feedback about the draft ToC:

*4.3 Configuration and Deploy Management Testing *

Ismael >> Somebody suggested previously to test for sensitive information
in logs.
Assuming that there is a test for connection strings couldn't we check also
for sensitive information in logs?
And this is the kind of test if we are covering only black box tests, in
theory the tester would need to gain
access in a way they could perform the test.

Ismael >> About Unpatched components and libraries (e.g. JavaScript
libraries)[New! NOTE: tu discuss it] :
I think this could be covered inside OWASP-CM-001/OWASP-CM-002.

*4.4 Authentication Testing *
Failure to restrict access to authenticated resource [New!]
Ismael  >> Isn't it authorization?

*4.5 Session Management Testing*

4.5.2 Testing for Cookies attributes (Cookies are set not ‘HTTP Only’,
‘Secure’, and no time validity) (OWASP-SM-002)
4.5.6 Testing for Session token not restricted properly (such as domain or
path not set properly) (OWASP-SM-006) OWASP-SM-006
Ismael >> Couldn't these tests be covered under the same item?

*4.6 Authorization Testing*
4.6.2 Testing for bypassing authorization schema (OWASP-AZ-002)
4.6.5 Testing for Failure to Restrict access to authorized resource
(OWASP-AZ-005) [New!]
Ismael>> Is the 4.6.5 a test in which the tester would check for resources
that were supposed to be protected and actual are not (e.g. Top Ten A8)?
What's the difference between 4.6.2 and 4.6.5? Looking at the Testing Guide
V3 I understand the 4.6.5 is already covered.

*Other comments:*
Aren't we covering Test for HTTP Dos? Do you guys think isn't worth to
cover this kind of DoS test?

Regards.

Ismael Gonçalves

--