[Owasp-testing] Testing Guide V4 - Start up

psiinon psiinon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 07:56:11 UTC 2012

I think its right for us to suggest an open source tool (or tools) for
using in each section, however I dont think we should view this as a ZAP vs
WebScarab contest.
We want to suggest the best possible tool, but I also think that its
reasonable for us to *prefer *OWASP ones.
But we should also favour tools that are more mature and/or more frequently
updated.
For OWASP tools I think we can rely on the new classifications: Flagship,
Labs, Incubator, Archive.
So I think its really a sliding scale.
If theres a Flagship OWASP project that is great at finding a specific type
of vulnerability then we should definitely use that as the example.
If not then we have to balance how relevant that tool is likely to remain.
A brand new Incubator project might be great in one specific case, but may
also not really be in a fit state for most people to use, or the project
may quickly wither and die.
And if a well regarded non OWASP open source tool is the best option then
we should use that.

Going back to ZAP, I obviously hope it will be the ideal tool in many cases
:)
And helping to establish if this is the case and explaining exactly how ZAP
can be used may be the most effective way I can contribute to this guide.

But I also want to use this process to learn where ZAP's weaknesses are.
And depending on how long it takes to produce the guide we (the ZAP
developers) may be able to enhance specific areas of ZAP as the work on the
guide develops.
So please let me know asap if/when you work on an area of the guide that
you dont think ZAP is effective in helping with, or if you would like
advice and guidance on how to use ZAP as effectively as possible.

Cheers,

Simon (ZAP Project Lead)

--
OWASP ZAP: Toolsmith Tool of the Year