[Owasp-testing] Documented workflows

King Thorin kingthorin at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:41:48 UTC 2012

I agree with Kevin on this.

In broad strokes I normally explain to process to
co-workers and clients as:

1) Recon - Surf the app (both automated and manual) [read
any user docs that may be available]. In order to find all the
pages/functionality to be tested. (Check xssed.com, etc)

2) Identification - Automated VA (AppScan, Burp Active,
Hailstorm, SkipFish, whatever).

3) Vulnerability Analysis - Manually validate the
automated results, see if you can turn them into interesting things (beyond
alert(1), LFI of win.ini, and SQL errors, etc). Browse through some passive assessment proxies (Fiddler, RatProxy, Burp, etc).

4) Penetration Testing/Business Logic Testing - Can you
push any of the identified issues any further? Command injection? Remote
shells (web shells)? Etc Are there business logic flaws? Can fictional Peter see fictional Joe's accounts/docs. Can I buy products for negative values, etc. JSON or XML data leaks, did they send me more than I actually get to see. Hidden functionality (style=display:none, did they hide things from me instead of actually just not including them in a page, etc). Is CSRF possible (Active scanners try to check for this but aren't "really" good at it. Check manually.) etc etc
That's the basic model I use and explain. Obviously it's not totally linear/chrono, I may loop back around through any step(s) as items are identified or new content/functionality is exposed.

 Rick

Owasp-testing at lists.owasp.org