[Owasp-testing] [Owasp-codereview] Code Review project andCode-Scanning-Tool(s)

Jim Manico jim at manico.net
Tue Jan 23 16:13:03 EST 2007

>  For example, a tool that finds and flags all the encryption code is
easy and valuable. Maybe it helps me navigate the code with "security
goggles" on.

I think this would be a great step forward in code security. I could
image that a tool of this nature would let me flag blocks of code to fit
in a certain security category (input validation, encryption, auth, etc)
and color-code it in some way.

Also, I could as an auditor set a master list of concepts that I need to
search for in my manual audit, add audit-specific notations to code, and
perhaps give me a checklist of concepts I need to "check off" for every
jsp and servlet. Perhaps a flag to mark certain code as questionable, or
needs further review.... Perhaps a comment layer so a team of auditors
could collaborate on the code review/audit process.

Most of the commercial products out there that claim to be an Audit
Workbench are really only static analysis tools, nothing I see out there
really assists me with the manual code review process.

 - Jim

--
Best Regards,
Jim Manico